I begin with - Al fateha

Thursday, April 5, 2007

120 ml....

Thanks for all the doa and advise. May Allah bless all of you.

I love all my friends u know..even though I don't have much friends unlike my hubby aka Dato'' Bandar, I still have good ones that I know i can turn too when I need them..

Well, I realized that my post yesterday was overly emotional or abit coo coo, but it really captured the reall essence of my feelings.

It could be due to the fact that Im very stressed up at work since Im on email duty this month and most of the emails are complaints which are baseless and I have to spend time investigating things which will later turn out to be not a complaint matter to begin with. sick !

Alhamdullilah, my feelings or rather my mind is quite stable today.

Yesterday, Little Habib drank 120ml / 2oz of milk for the lunch feed.
My mum's helper managed to trick him into drinking his milk with his cereals. Instead of giving him plain water in between the spoonful of cereals, she gave him milk in a bottle instead and he didn't realize it was milk because of the cereal which is still in his mouth.. ! ok, so we tricked him.. but if tricking my son will make milk go into his body, its not a bad thing isn't it ....

At night, he refuse milk again, so the same trick was administered and the trick was successful again. Hee !

Yesterday night, hubster and me sat in the baby room and recited Ratib AlHadad. We have always believed in the power of the sahibul ratib and during scary or sad events, we would sit down and recite it together like how our ustaz would bring it at Ansar.

I really felt better. It was like a release because at the end of Ratib, we doa our hearts out for little Habib, and I hope that no matter milk or no milk, I just pray that he will be healthy and happy. Like one of my comments mention, doa ibu is still the best..so I doa for Little Habib and I told my mum to doa for me.

After that, I open up my email and read an email forwarded to me by Ummu Muchtaar which was a reply from a lady who is from some breastfeeding association in the States. Though she was applying the reply for a baby who is above 1 yr old and above, I gathered much facts and again, it made me feel better, at least with the knowledge that I gain from it..
i will email to this lady soon.

Quote
''My name is Zoe and I am a breastfeeding counselor with the Association of Breastfeeding Mothers.

I understand that your baby weaned from the breast about 4 months ago and that you are worried about his diet.Between 1 and 2 years babies only need 400ml milk per 24hours, which can easily be substituted by yogurt and cheese and your baby is certainly getting this much milk.

Additionally, you mention that the baby will only drink off a spoon. Have you tried setting a range of cups in front of him and letting him try each one and chose for himself?

I suggest reading a book by Gill Rapley called, "Baby Led Weaning" it will really help you with your mealtimes.

Here is some information about milk which should help:Milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.Good non-dairy sources of protein include meats, fish, peas & beans (chick peas, lentils, baked beans, etc.), tofu and other soy products, boiled eggs, peanut and other nut butters (if your child is not allergic).

Good non-dairy sources of fats include soy and safflower oils, flax seed and flax seed oil, walnuts, fish and fish oils, avocado. Adding fats to cooking and baking can work well, for example, stir fry in safflower oil or make mini-muffins with soy or rice milk, oil or butter, and eggs.

Calcium may be derived from many nondairy sources.Vitamin D can be supplied by sunlight exposure and food sources.You can incorporate milk into your child's diet in other ways. Many children like cheese, whole-fat yogurt or ice cream.

You can also put milk into various food products: pancakes, waffles, muffins, French toast, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, and baked goods.

Good luck with your baby and second arrival.
Zoe NyeIBCLC, ABM counsellor
Unquote

My dad also said that when he was a baby, his parents were too poor to give him and his siblings milk, and they were given Barley water instead, and they still grew up smart, in fact, my aunt became a DR. So milk or no milk, there are many other factors that contribute to a person's intellectual growth.

Of course, if possible, Milk is still a very good source for growing babies.

4 comments:

rheA said...

thing is...it's best not to panic..cos a child can sense if youre panicky..thus not wanting to drink the milk even more..theyre smarter than you think you know :)

Anonymous said...

Mind me saying, I think you should have that mindset that whatever it is.. it is because of Allah. And if your son doesn't drink milk... what other reason could it be but because of Allah.

I think you should take things easy on this issue. Let it be. If he drinks, then alhamdulillah. If he doesn't... then alhamdulillah as well, so long as he takes in food and is healthy. These are the little things we should appreciate. Insya allah, your son will grow up to be a healthy and smart one. Leave it to Him.

It's nice of you to drop by my blog. Thank you. I do read you now and then. Nice blog here.

Hope you have a pleasant day.

Ummi's Blog said...

yes babies r so smart..

ladies, thanks for that advise.. yes, i understand what yr trying to say. its just anxieties of a first time ummi.

ive got alot to learn..

Anonymous said...

sweetheart, come and see us at www.babyledweaning.com and see if we can help you with mealtime ideas.
good luck, it's scary being a first-time mum, we've all been there.
Aitch